Tips for Staying Safe in Kitchen This Winter and Beyond | SERVPRO® of Western Dutchess County
House fires are more common during the winter months in the Hudson Valley than they are at any other time during the year. And one of the main reasons fire damage happens to homes this time of year involves accidents in the kitchen.
Many families are cooking large meals to entertain guests or uphold long-held traditions from Thanksgiving through the New Year. But even after the holidays are over, many families spend more time cooking and baking on dark, cold winter nights.
Preventing Kitchen Fires
You can take steps to lower your risk for a kitchen fire if you follow some essential kitchen safety tips. By implementing these simple steps, you can significantly reduce your risk for a kitchen fire—and the resulting fire damage.
Don’t leave your oven and stove unattended. It’s tempting to leave a pot to simmer or a cake to bake for as long as it needs and leave the room. Unfortunately, not regularly checking the progress of a meal is a fire risk. Pots and pans that are left to boil over can cause accidents, and it’s possible to miss an oven fire if you don’t check how things are cooking.
Learn what to do if a small kitchen fire starts. For example, it’s best to cover a grease fire— don’t throw water on it. In general, don’t pull a pot or pan that’s flaming directly off the stove, because those flames can jump. Instead, it’s smart to cover or smother the fires. Keeping pot lids nearby, a fire extinguisher or baking soda can help you extinguish small kitchen fires fast.
Be careful with your clothes. In general, don’t cook meals while wearing a top with flowing sleeves. If these drag through a flame, they can start a fire and severely injure you. Opt for something fitted instead.
If you have fire damage in your home due to a kitchen fire or any other cause, you can count on SERVPRO of Western Dutchess County to provide emergency response for fire damage assistance. We’re here to help 24/7 and will make it "Like it never even happened."