Must-Haves for Your Emergency Kit | SERVPRO® of Western Dutchess County
When a weather emergency strikes, there will not always be time to gather your supplies before heading to a basement or other safe space to wait out the storm. Having an emergency kit that is fully stocked and ready can make such a big difference in your survival during a disaster.
Experts recommend that your emergency kit contain at least 72 hours of provisions as well as some necessities such as personal hygiene supplies and emergency radios. An emergency kit is the best way to obtain peace of mind and know your family will be safe.
The Basic Emergency Kit:
While every emergency kit should be tailored for individual needs and considerations, to build an emergency kit with the bare necessities, this is what Ready.gov recommends:
- At minimum, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food per person
- Either a battery-powered or hand-crank radio for local alerts
- A NOAA Weather Radio for national alerts
- Flashlights for each person
- A well-stocked first-aid kit
- Any prescription medications your family members may require
- A surplus of portable phone chargers, charger cords and batteries for the flashlights and radios
- Dust masks for filtering debris-filled air
- Paper towels, toilet paper, garbage bags, hand sanitizer and any other personal hygiene supplies
- A non-electric can opener and utensils for food.
- Local maps of the area with shelters clearly marked
Additional Supplies for Emergencies:
Having the above items is a great place to start, but if you have the space and ability to build out a more robust kit, there are some additional items you may want to include:
- Tools such as wrenches, hammers, nails and pliers
- Plywood in case it is necessary to barricade doors or windows
- Duct tape and plastic sheeting in case an impromptu shelter needs building
- Solar-powered chargers for using electronics long-term
- Climate-appropriate spare clothes
- Thin, camping-style blankets
- Unscented bleach, which can be used as a disinfectant or water purifier
- A source of entertainment for adults and children
- Cash and/or travelers checks
If you’ve experienced a weather-related disaster and have sustained water or storm damage in the process, SERVPRO® of Western Dutchess County is here to help you. Our experts are available 24/7, and pride ourselves on a fast response time following disasters.