Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water damage can lead to contaminated water!
Imagine waking up one morning to find the water line to your toilet burst and has sent water through your home and on multiple levels. What do you do first?
-CALL A PLUMBER AND GET THAT ISSUE FIXED ASAP.
-Put in a claim with your insurance company and they'll tell you to call us, SERVPRO of Western Dutchess County at 845-831-3600 and we'll be on our way to you in no time!
Keep these key things in mind while help is on the way:
-Avoid all contact with any standing water. Passing through multiple floors in the home makes this water contaminated, best to avoid it.
-Wash your hands thoroughly if you do come in contact with it.
-Spread contaminated water by walking on damaged or wet areas.
-Turn on the HVAC system.
-Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
-Use products for personal hygiene if exposed to the contaminated areas.
Our trained technicians will take care of everything from there by working with your insurance company, extracting the water and debris, salvaging contents, cleaning, sanitizing, drying out everything keeping you in the know and getting it back the way things were, "Like it never even happened."
Call us 24/7 no matter the size of the damage, 845-831-3600.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (845) 831-3600
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Western Dutchess County has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Wappingers Falls
- Hopewell Junction
- Castle Point
- East Fishkill