Natural Gas Furnace Safety Basics to Help Prevent Winter Fires in Your Dutchess County Home or Business
Winters can be long and cold, especially in this part of New York. While most Dutchess County businesses and families find themselves turning up the heat during the cold months of the year, it’s especially important to help your loved ones and clients also stay safe during our cold, snowy winters.
Natural gas furnaces have become more popular in recent years because they provide steady heat and can be both affordable and efficient options. If you use your natural gas furnace safely, they can be a great option for heating.
However, if you choose a natural gas furnace, then you’ll need to remember to take some safety precautions that aren’t necessary when using electric heating.
Here’s what you need to know about heating with natural gas:
Be sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed. These inexpensive detectors are a vital safety feature for homes with natural gas heating. They detect carbon monoxide, which is odorless before it becomes dangerous to your family.
Keep anything flammable away from the furnace. To use your natural gas furnace safely, it needs to be clear of papers, wood, fabric and debris on all sides. Also, consider sweeping around the furnace on a regular basis, so the area stays clear of dust and debris.
Check your filters regularly. Checking to see if your filter needs to be changed once a month is enough to make your furnace safer.
Don’t neglect regular service. Even if your furnace is working, it’s worth having a heating and air professional take a yearly look at it to let you know it’s in good shape. You can also catch issues before they become more expensive repairs.
Evacuate your home if you smell natural gas. Most people note that natural gas smells like rotten eggs. If you notice this odor in your home, shut off your gas and leave the house. Call Central Hudson or your gas service provider immediately. Then call to have your unit serviced and the gas leak found and repaired.
If you have fire damage in your home due to a kitchen fire or any other cause, you can count on SERVPRO of Western Dutchess County for immediate restoration assistance. We’re here to help 24/7 and will make it "Like it never even happened."